Stink filter 3470

Welcome to the Tiki Hut - A great place for general boating discussions!

Stink filter 3470

Postby bop » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:01 am

Anyone know where my filter is? 2002 3470.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bop

Re: Stink filter 3470

Postby Bmcilmail » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:24 am

Behind the back wall forward stateroom closet. Good luck
Bmcilmail

Postby bop » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:23 am

Uh oh good luck doesn't sound good! Thanks lol.

bop

Postby bop » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:27 am

Is it a standard size model I can buy before pulling it out?

bop

Postby edickent » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 am

My 3372 is a (Sealand) 309310001.

-Mike
Cruising the Chesapeake out of Chester, MD
edickent
Captain

Postby Cruisers4Ever » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:56 am

I suggest looking at Big Orange filters.
Bobby 8-)
Bobby & Fran
"Seas The Day"
2000 Cruisers Yachts 3375 Express
Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

"All who wander are not lost"
Cruisers4Ever
Passenger

Postby JeffCooper » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:06 pm

Keep the old ones and rebuild them for about $20

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
2005 455 Express Motor Yacht
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby bop » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:20 pm

I ordered a big orange filter. Should be here tomorrow. No problem getting access. 4 screws holding the back panel in. Thought it was going to a bigger pita than it was luckily.

bop

Postby SteveD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:12 am

Along the same topic- I have been told to go with the big orange filter as well. I cannot locate my filter though, any suggestions? 2000 3075 express
SteveD

Postby Country Cruise'n » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:10 pm

I don't mean to sound dumb, but what is this? Stink filter and I also heard fart filter? besides what it sounds like? :roll: We have a terrible odor that recently surfaced and I cannot stand it! I clean our boat constantly. And it is to the point that I can not deal much longer. I have been keeping the portholes opened when we can, but this past week with this HEATWAVE it is unbearable so the air has been on. But going below, when we first arrive on the weekend and are hit with that odor... after being closed up ... OMG, so pungent! Smells like our septic was just pumped out at home. HELP! Where is this filter everyone talks about??? We pump out all the time! No issues with that! and we only do the minimal on our boat! ( what a discussion but unfortunately necessary & part of life) We have access to a full bath house, so shower and everything there! Even full access to kitchen, so no grease or such. Appreciate your any and all HELP!
:roll:
Country Cruise'n

Postby bop » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:58 pm

There is a charcoal filter on the holding tank vent line. When they need replaced the odor is very noticeable. That is likely what you're smelling.

bop

Postby edickent » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Country Cruise'n wrote:what is this fart filter?

So, first, see my other (similar) response at: http://www.cruisersownersforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=1225

Those fart-filters are for OUTSIDE, nothing to do with your cabin (unless someone disconnected it). It allows the poo-tank to vent without stinking-up outside, like when you flush at the dock, but it also allows air to flow back into the tank when you pump-out (suction on the tank).

I assume you know to run stuff like these?? I'm totally thrilled with operation of my pellets (I usually flush 2-pellets after every time I pump-out)... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005FIHDNE

-Mike
edickent
Captain

Postby bop » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 am

I know when mine needs replaced I can smell it in the cabin.

bop

Postby Country Cruise'n » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:42 am

Thank you for that info ..l am putting my hubby on that pronto! Our boat is a '99 3075 Cruiser ... We haven't been able to find that filter, but will look for it again. What shape and size is it? And yes we do know about the pellets, no issues with that. Appreciate that tidbit of info also! Let you know how it goes! Thank you ...
;)
Country Cruise'n

Postby JeffCooper » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 am

Mike, I've never tried the Walex pellets. I'm a little worried about dropping these in to my electric head, which I've had apart more times than I care to recount. Do you let them dissolve in the bowl before hitting the "royal" button?? I usually just pour in the liquid that I get from West Marine (or Wal-Mart).
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby edickent » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:51 pm

They dissolve nearly-immediately. I try to flush asap, so I don't get blue all-over, but I'm sure you could wait a couple minutes.

I just returned to my boat today, haven't seen her in 2-solid months. Cabin smelled fresh on entry, even with our long string of near-100 degree days. I have zero issues with my system (vacuflush) stinking.

I question if those guys who claim cabin-smells isn't a result of completely-filling their holding tank, and flushing "just one more time"?? That would saturate that filter. I don't think I've ever gone over 3/4.

-Mike
edickent
Captain

Postby JeffCooper » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:25 pm

A good point... there are foam "filters" on both sides of the activated charcoal inside the filter - if that gets wet, it may never dry out!
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby Country Cruise'n » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:53 pm

I see you guys talking about these filters ... I see the holding tank and I do not see any filter. Is it right on the top? Our holding tank is in the back under the the mid cabin, which our set up has lounge area that converts to a bed. But facing the aft, on the right side, under the middle is the water holding tank. Stil having issues finding it, this is why I asked what shape the filter is and how large it is? I've looked in owners manual unsuccessfully too. This is frustrating! Might be easier if I had a diagram of what the heck it looked like. Round, oblong and how large. Appreciate any help?????
Country Cruise'n

Postby JeffCooper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:35 pm

Here ya go!!

Also a link to our friends at the ClubSeaRay forum on how to rebuilt them. I rebuilt as per the instructions, and have a set ready to go. Works great, saves some cash! Nothing gross either.

http://clubsearay.com/showthread.php/26 ... art-Filter
fart filter.jpg
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby JeffCooper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Oh, and someone here will know where the filter is if we knew what model you have. Mine are both in the engine room, but on my 3470 it was behind a panel in the fwd hanging locker. Easy to get to if you know where to look.
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby edickent » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:40 am

Follow your vent-hose back from the side of your hull; your tank has to be vented. My filter sits above my holding tank, horizontal along the firewall between engine room and cabin. But mine is so obvious yours must be different. Maybe PO removed it and forgot to replace?

-Mike
edickent
Captain

Postby JeffCooper » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:15 pm

Sorry - missed the 02 3470 bit. I owned one. The fart filter is behind a panel in the back of the forward hanging locker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Jeff and Andrea Cooper
Spank 'n Skweeze
JeffCooper
Fleet Commander

Postby robhubbard0229 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:16 am

I'm so frustrated! We just bought a 2007 455 Motoryacht. The smell is unbearable. It seems to be centralized in the guest head, forward cabin, hall and salon. I've read all these posts, which have been very enlightening by the way, but have not been able to locate any kind of holding tank filter. I've looked in the engine room. Nothing. I've checked for a panel in the hanging locker in the forward stateroom. Nothing. I've checked every bilge compartment. NOTHING!!!! Is it possible this boat simply doesn't have one? Is there another place I can look? And what about a filter for the master head? Grrrrrr..... We Would be eternally grateful for any help here. We have company coming tomorrow and I'm embarrassed to let them on the boat!
robhubbard0229

Postby edickent » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:51 am

Company tomorrow? Can't help you with that. Though the stink will keep them from wanting to be on your boat every weekend, so it might work out okay.

There are just-under 1000-reasons for stink. You might have a loose hose-clamp in the hoses between the turd-hole and tank. Do you have a vacu-flush head? If so, the vacuum pump will never stop if there's a leak in the line (a good thing), but you won't know if you've got an electric head.

Is the smell coming from an area where the tank is even located?

The part I keep arguing with everyone about is: your tank requires a vent. That vent may or may-not go through a filter. Regardless, it isn't designed to vent inside the cabin... IT VENTS OUTSIDE. So, if you're smelling stink outside, hands-down it's a filter issue. There are so many causes for stink inside that you've got to roll up your sleeves and dive in.

Take a look at my setup:

My vacuum-canister is the big white (round) tank. If you don't have a vacu-flush, you won't have this.

The tank has a relief-valve, that's the round white/black disc. If there is any smell there, you have to replace/repair it (or seal it). That will usually only pop if you've had a clogged vent during a pump-out.

The (rectangular white) poo-tank requires a vent in-order for pumping-out to work. You can see the vent hose in the top of my tank. That hose goes over to the fart-filter on the left.

The vent-filter reduces odors in the vent-line, which continues through the side of the hull. It can NOT reduce smells inside the cabin, because it is a closed system. This thing isn't a Fabreeze packet, it's simply activated-charcoal (like a fish-tank filter). It is for gasses only, not for liquids (or chunks). If the filter gets wet, you have to replace it.

Additionally, you likely have a Y-valve somewhere there, to swap between Tank-to-Pumpout and Tank-to-Macerator. If you've swapped the Y-valve to the (illegal) macerator-position, and that seacock is open, you will continuously be pumping poo outside the hull and possibly sucking water INTO your tank while underway.

Additionally, most macerator setups have a "anti-siphon loop" in the Tank-to-Macerator hoses. This has a one-way valve in the top of the loop to prevent siphoning, and if it opens, you basically have tank-gasses leaking out of it.

So, to sum it up, you've got like 30 hose-clamps in there, sanitation hose that has a life-span (like 10-years), two vents that shouldn't ever open (but might), and you can have issues with the head itself allowing leaks.

Then, to make matters worse, your "smell" might not even be the holding tank. You might have a shower-sump you haven't cleaned (catches both shower drain and air-conditioner drain). You might have standing-water in a trapped bilge-section that a bilge-pump doesn't clear-out... you've got to get a ShopVac and manually clean it.

It doesn't take much, black-water or grey-water or even bilge-water, to create a stink you can't pin down to one area. You have to get on your hands and knees and clean EVERYTHING by hand. Sprays are cover-ups, you've got to do manual labor (or hire it done). The best way to tell if you've got a problem somewhere is to look for black-spots (mold). If your tank, bilges, and stringers aren't kept as clean as I keep mine, you'll get a smell... plus you'll know if you have a leak somewhere, because it won't be squeaky clean.

-Mike
edickent
Captain

Postby robhubbard0229 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:12 pm

Mike,

I can't thank you enough for your reply. My husband is down at the boat now doing every diagnostic work-up he can think of. We were unable to find a single holding tank filter on our Motoryacht, so I'm going out on a limb to say we don't have one. He did find standing water in the bilge around the shower pump. He said it smells nasty and is going to clean it up and see if it is the origin of our horrific problem. I hate to admit I'm doubtful.... I know standing water can smell musty, but I've not known it to smell like poo.

He says all the other connections and seals are tight as a drum. No leaks. I'm depressed.

I don't want our friends from Chicago to be subjected to an environment I can't even tolerate!

Vanessa
robhubbard0229

Next

Return to Tiki Hut